Skip to main content

The Two தமிழ் books (October 2020 Reads #2)

My first Cathartic Tamil Book

A good book should not necessarily discuss about good things. Moral things. Because the things I call moral will never be the same for another person. For example, I say killing is bad. But to a person, whose parents were killed by a guy and he wants to kill that guy, whose only life motivation was revenge, he would consider killing a moral deed.

Of course, killing is bad. But that doesn’t necessarily make a book, that takes and justify the story of that vengeful man, a bad one.

Vela Ramamoorthy’s Kutra Parambarai was one such gem of a book that talks about a tribe whose only job was stealing.

I like to know about grey shades of people more than their other qualities. Because those grey shades were the only true things that people have in themselves. People who identifies their grey shades can escape the reality and practicality of this society. But those who are stubborn to let go of their grey shades were the ones who gets punished by the very society of theirs.

Simply put, being fake and hypocrite is a survival instinct. Prove me wrong!

Kutra Parambarai is one such books that tries to showcase the utter reality of the people who steal for a living. We cannot call them the bad guys because whatever they steal (for example golds, diamonds and so on…), they exchange it for grains and rice. Every 10 chapters in this book had hit me hard with what is right and what is wrong. And how we should see it.

The important thing this book gives away was a simple fact.

There is no such thing as a good thing or bad thing. Morality of an issue gets corrupted when people start getting cunning as fuck!

Except for the glorification sequences, all the other sequences, which tells the folklore and caste indifferences of the people, gave me a mindful catharsis.

I even loved the fantasy story line of Nagamuni. I hated the love story part of it but liked the fantastical element that storyline offered.

I never thought I would read a gory scene in a Tamil book. Be it the Karu Aruppu scene, be it the Vandalising Perunazhi scene, it was like watching a Gasper Noe film. There was one scene where the British police officers were chasing the women of Komboodhi. An officer finds one lady and he start raping her. The events that happened next where very dark and gory. Before this scene, there were chapters dedicated to characterising the mind of that lady being raped. After reading all those side stories and the grasping the character of that lady, this scene put justification to that character.

It showcased how brutal a mind of a widow can be. No one should judge her and if you did (you probably will), then you are as damaged as that Police Mothafucker.

This book had all the elements that I usually love. A fantasy, a mystery, sexual tension between people and most of all – THE BADASS CHARACTERS.

The book made a huge impact on me even after I finished reading the book. 

My logs for குற்றப் பரம்பரை are here!

Death of a Writer

After writing Madhorupaagan – One Part Women, writer Perumaal Murugan announced his death as a writer. That hooked me to buy this book. I never spoiled myself reading the controversies that were happened because of this book.

I started reading this book at the end of my vacation.

 I never expected this book to be entertaining with a mundane plot.

A husband and wife were so in love with each other. The society and their family destroy their relationship in the end. If this feels like a spoiler. Its not.

I have heard the sorrow and constant belittling of women who were unable to have children. This story explores such kind of tragedy that had befallen on a woman called Ponna. Kaali and Ponna have been a married couple of 12 years. This book explains the problem faced by this couple and how they struggle to overcome them.

As a reader, I can able to grasp not only the story of this book, but also the concept of marriage, we, as a society, believe in.

And what could make one to go to such extent when they were in such a situation. It was explained brutally and mind numbingly in the last pages of this book.

I liked how a character called Nallappan Chithappa had been portrayed. I’ve never read a cool character in a Tamil book before. He was a man of 65 who is single and living a life he wanted to live in a village like that. He never cares about anything and surprisingly, there’s a goodness and clarity to it.

This book was pressed charged because of a ritual the author had talked about in the last pages of this book. I was hoping the ritual should not happen, but it happened anyway.

The story ends with a hysteric Kaali cursing and swearing his wife’s name like anything. After reading this book, the impact was huge to take. I had dreams of those ritual and it was horrific. I can’t even imagine myself to empathise with Kaali.

The irony here is that both Kaali and Ponna’s family were trying to hide about the fact that Ponna was taking part in the ritual. But when it was also the family that supports Kaali to undergo that same kind of ritual (in a different way) to claim his manliness. Kaali refuses thinking about Ponna. Even Ponna didn’t want to do the ritual but her family lied to her that Kaali approved her to take part in the ritual.

After pressing charges, Perumal Murugan, the Author of this book, announced his death as a writer and never wrote anything for the next 6 years. Then the high court ordered him to write and it made him happy it seems. So, he restarted his career as a writer now and had written 2 novels, I guess.

I hope to read all his works someday.

My logs for மாதொருபாகன் is here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ohm Namashivaaya to you-all raa fuckers!!!

  It was very difficult for me to climb the first hill with my full stomach. I have never sat to take rest when I climbed the first hill back in 2019 but, this time around, I last count on how many times I had sat down to take a bit of rest. I even felt a sudden urge to quit this and go down. But my friends waited with me till I reached the first hill. And believe me, after reaching the first hill, my stomach didn’t upset me anymore. Instead, all the proteins I ate just gave me my stamina. This time It took me one hour to complete the first hill (may be more; I forgot) but, its certainly much slower than my last time. You know what! I am not going to compare my 2-years-back-self to my current-self. It’s just so frustrating. 2 Years Ago It was not till the end of 3 rd hill; I start to feel my legs shaking. Till the third hill, there would be steps arranged in a neat manner so that we can climb easily. But after that, the steps would be would start becoming irregular heaps of st

முதல் முத்தம்

முதல் முத்தம்  சிறுகதை  நவீன் செல்வகுமார்   இன்று(சனி)..  தனது PULSAR150ஐ, அதிகமான கார்கள் மற்றும் சில ரேஸ் பைக்குகள் நிறுத்தப்பட்டிருந்த பார்க்கிங்கில் ஒருவழியாக கிடைத்த சிறு இடத்தில நிறுத்தினான். அன்பு தன்னுடன் அலுவலுகத்தில் பணிபுரியும் அமித்தின் ‘BACHELOR PARTY’க்கு வந்திருந்தான்.இரவு எட்டு மணிக்கு வரவேண்டிய அமித்தின் 'BEACHHOUSE'க்கு 8.20க்கு வந்தடைந்தான். அமித்தின் BEACHHOUSEஐ சில வினாடிகள் ஏக்கமாய் பார்த்துவிட்டு வீட்டினுள்ளே நுழைந்தான்.செல்வராகவன் திரைப்படங்களில் வருவதுபோல் சிவப்பு பச்சை மஞ்சள் என வண்ண விளக்குகள் மின்ன ஆங்கில ராக் பாடல்களுடன் வெளியில் இருந்து பார்த்த அமைதிக்கு நேர் மாறாக அந்த அறை இருந்தது.அறை முழுவதும் மது வாசம் வீசியது. குறைந்த ஆடைகளுடன் பெண்களும் ஆண்களும் மதுகுவளைகளை கையில் ஏந்தியபடி ஆடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்கள்.சிலர் தெய்வநிலை அடைந்த நிம்மதியில் சோபாவிழும் தரையிலும் கிடந்தார்கள்.அமித் அன்புவை வரவேற்று மது பாட்டிலை குடுத்து உபசரித்தான்.அன்பு அதை மறுத்துவிட்டு ஒரு மூலையில் போய் அமர்ந்தான்.அன்புவிற்கு மது பிடிக்காது.மது போதைக்காக இங்கு அவன் வரவில்லை, மாது போத

The Days of Being Wild (Last Days of IBM #5 - The End)

  The Days of Being Wild In the third semester of college, I had a fight with one of my roommates. I had lost my father in the second semester of college. It was a hard time for me and my family. The only thing that I had with me at that time were my friends. It may sound cringe, but the truth is, I needed to forget it all. I never wanted my friends to feel sympathy towards me. At that age, and especially in my 3rd semester, to avoid my gloom, I started acting weirdly. More like a cracked guy at times. By doing so, no one would feel sympathy towards me right? On the other hand, they would get irritated at me or would see me as funny and laugh with me right? - This was the kind of justification I told myself. Thinking about it now makes me laugh so hard and embarrassed. Ha! But why am I writing this now? There’s a reason for it. At the end of 3rd semester, one of my roommates took advantage of me. In that sense, he showed his superiority towards me. I don’t know why h