Skip to main content

Red (The Red #5)

 


I woke up with a gasp. I couldn’t able to breath. I sprang up from my bed and reached the balcony door. I unlocked it and rushed outside. The air was chilly. I inhaled a lot of those chilly air and it was a bliss. The air smelled of wet sand. I looked up and it was a beautiful full moon. Then I looked down. I saw the same forest that I had dreamt about just now. Then a fear started creeping inside me. I turned to my right and looked my neighbour balcony.

No one was there. Neither there was any light turned on.

After spending some time in the balcony. I returned to my bed. The darkness was unnerving. I switched on the light for a second and looked the clock. It was 01:30 AM. I had slept for a whole two hours to wake up from a nightmare. I sighed myself and switched off the lights. I fall on the bed. The darkness didn’t disturb me now. It just made me drowsy.

Titititit! Titititit!

The alarm woke me up. It was 07:30 AM.

As soon as I finished my bath and came outside from the bathroom, I heard something.

“Sir!” – Somebody knocked the door.

“Sir! Room Service!” – He knocked the door once again. I looked the clock. It was 8:27 AM.

“Yeah! Wait a minute” – I shouted back. The knocking stopped for a minute. I opened and saw a young guy, probably in his teens, ready to knock the door again. When he saw me, he rolled back his hands and dragged the wheel table.

“Food ready, Sir”

I blinked at the food closed by a lid and then looked back at the teenager. He looked familiar.

“Thank you. Please come inside.”

The boy rolled the table and came inside my room. Then it hit me.

“You are the one I met yesterday at the reception, right? But you looked old yesterday.”

The boy turned back and smiled. “That is my brother Sukumaran sir. He can’t able to speak. I am Madhimaaran. You can call me Madhi, Sir”

I knew it. He was deaf after all. “And you can call me Ed.” – I just don’t feel comfortable when people call me Sir. I didn’t hear any reply from Madhi. He looked at me and smiled.

“If you need any help. Dial the phone on that corner. I’ll help you.” – he smiled again and went out.

I chose this mansion randomly with two conditions. One: It should have a balcony and Two: It should serve me well so that I won’t need to leave my room. Now, I feel like I got both my conditions checked.

Now it was up to me to write this fucking story with my fucking genre. I opened my lap and started to type.

Knock. Knock.

“Sir! Room Service”

I looked at the door and looked at the clock. It was 8:36 PM. I been reviewing and rewriting my draft for a straight 12 hours. I could understand when Melena said it was a piece of crap. The last 12 hours have been a hell to me. This would be the end of me, I guess. I couldn’t able to write even a decent single para. My head started aching and my eyes went dry. The room service knocked the door again.

I purposely requested to not bring my lunch before I booked the rooms in this mansion so that I would have no intervention. But by thinking about it now, it was never needed at all. I would never write anything good anymore.

I opened the door. Madhi grinned at me and dragged the wheel table inside my room. He placed the new dishes and took the leftover dishes and the dust bin cover with him. I have cleaned the plate and trashed the leftover. He just smiled and went outside. I wanted to talk to him but with the mood that I am in now, I just felt against it.

I locked the room, ate the dish. Indian dishes are spicy, but it tastes and smell good.

I cleaned the plates and went to the balcony to get some air. I liked the view from here. The sky was beautiful today too. But I can’t able to get off the alarming feeling I get by seeing the forest. I should’ve asked Madhi about the person staying next door. Next time I should ask him that. But for now, I should do something about my draft.

For the next 2 to 3 hours, I scribbled the ideas and story threads for my novel. I never spent writing novel when I feel sleepy. Weird it may seem but, I get ideas usually at night times. I write horror and mystery thrillers mostly. So, cold of the night and the darkness were the two factors that gives me ideas. After using and cracking my brain for ideas, I felt drowsy,

It was 11:17 PM

As soon as I fall on the bed, I slept.

Titititit! Titititit!

I punched the alarm to stop and woke up. I felt sleepy. But it’s time to wake up. When I opened my eyes, it was till dark. That’s weird. I looked at the time.

01:00 AM

What the fuck?

Is something wrong with the alarm? I got back. I went outside to the balcony to get some fresh air. As soon as I opened the balcony door, the breeze of cool air started flowing all around me. My hair started tingling because of the cold. I went to the edge of the balcony to enjoy the night’s cold.

I closed my eyes as I neared the edge. I handed my arms and rested on the edge of the balcony. I inhaled a lot of the cold air and sighed with relief. I opened my eyes. I looked at the forest. It didn’t scare me anymore. I laughed a little and turned back to get some shut eye.

I felt something shined near me. I looked at the neighbour’s balcony. There was light. What is the person doing at this hour?  I walked towards the edge of my neighbour’s balcony. I looked at the glass door which was closed.

Suddenly, I saw a silhouette appearing at the door. Okay! Let’s see who is opening the door. I looked at that intently. But the silhouette stood there for a long moment. Then it moved away from the door. So, no one is going to open the door today it seems. May be tomorrow. I chuckled inside myself and reached my balcony’s glass door. Then in a moment of silence, the air stopped flowing and I heard it. I heard it again.

I heard the haunting music coming from my neighbour’s door once again.

I walked swiftly. Curiosity hit my head. Also, an anger started rising inside me. Who the fuck turns on music at this hour? I should ask them to stop. I unlocked my door and reached my neighbour’s door. I slowly knocked the door.

No response.

The sound just got amplified. Some how the tune was so eery and it made me uncomfortable. I just want to stop the music. I banged the door hardly this time.

No response.

The music didn’t seem to stop. I yelled at them. “Please stop the music.”

No response.

It started irritating me. Suddenly a woman started singing. I can clearly hear a woman’s voice coming from the other side of the door. Curiosity again hit my head. I wanted to know what’s happening on the other side of this door.

I was searching for something in my head and it clicked me.

The keyhole of the door.

It didn’t feel nice to sneak a peek on someone else’s door, but it didn’t matter anymore. I couldn’t control my curiosity. And if it’s a woman, then I want to see her for sure.

I placed my eyes near the keyhole and adjusted myself to see clearly. Suddenly the singing stopped. But the music didn’t end.

I looked closely inside my neighbour’s room. It was weird. I thought I was seeing things. The music got stopped now.

Then I brushed my eyes once and saw inside that keyhole again. It was weird. All I could see on the other side was the colour…

Red.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ohm Namashivaaya to you-all raa fuckers!!!

  It was very difficult for me to climb the first hill with my full stomach. I have never sat to take rest when I climbed the first hill back in 2019 but, this time around, I last count on how many times I had sat down to take a bit of rest. I even felt a sudden urge to quit this and go down. But my friends waited with me till I reached the first hill. And believe me, after reaching the first hill, my stomach didn’t upset me anymore. Instead, all the proteins I ate just gave me my stamina. This time It took me one hour to complete the first hill (may be more; I forgot) but, its certainly much slower than my last time. You know what! I am not going to compare my 2-years-back-self to my current-self. It’s just so frustrating. 2 Years Ago It was not till the end of 3 rd hill; I start to feel my legs shaking. Till the third hill, there would be steps arranged in a neat manner so that we can climb easily. But after that, the steps would be would start becoming irregular heaps of st

முதல் முத்தம்

முதல் முத்தம்  சிறுகதை  நவீன் செல்வகுமார்   இன்று(சனி)..  தனது PULSAR150ஐ, அதிகமான கார்கள் மற்றும் சில ரேஸ் பைக்குகள் நிறுத்தப்பட்டிருந்த பார்க்கிங்கில் ஒருவழியாக கிடைத்த சிறு இடத்தில நிறுத்தினான். அன்பு தன்னுடன் அலுவலுகத்தில் பணிபுரியும் அமித்தின் ‘BACHELOR PARTY’க்கு வந்திருந்தான்.இரவு எட்டு மணிக்கு வரவேண்டிய அமித்தின் 'BEACHHOUSE'க்கு 8.20க்கு வந்தடைந்தான். அமித்தின் BEACHHOUSEஐ சில வினாடிகள் ஏக்கமாய் பார்த்துவிட்டு வீட்டினுள்ளே நுழைந்தான்.செல்வராகவன் திரைப்படங்களில் வருவதுபோல் சிவப்பு பச்சை மஞ்சள் என வண்ண விளக்குகள் மின்ன ஆங்கில ராக் பாடல்களுடன் வெளியில் இருந்து பார்த்த அமைதிக்கு நேர் மாறாக அந்த அறை இருந்தது.அறை முழுவதும் மது வாசம் வீசியது. குறைந்த ஆடைகளுடன் பெண்களும் ஆண்களும் மதுகுவளைகளை கையில் ஏந்தியபடி ஆடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்கள்.சிலர் தெய்வநிலை அடைந்த நிம்மதியில் சோபாவிழும் தரையிலும் கிடந்தார்கள்.அமித் அன்புவை வரவேற்று மது பாட்டிலை குடுத்து உபசரித்தான்.அன்பு அதை மறுத்துவிட்டு ஒரு மூலையில் போய் அமர்ந்தான்.அன்புவிற்கு மது பிடிக்காது.மது போதைக்காக இங்கு அவன் வரவில்லை, மாது போத

The Days of Being Wild (Last Days of IBM #5 - The End)

  The Days of Being Wild In the third semester of college, I had a fight with one of my roommates. I had lost my father in the second semester of college. It was a hard time for me and my family. The only thing that I had with me at that time were my friends. It may sound cringe, but the truth is, I needed to forget it all. I never wanted my friends to feel sympathy towards me. At that age, and especially in my 3rd semester, to avoid my gloom, I started acting weirdly. More like a cracked guy at times. By doing so, no one would feel sympathy towards me right? On the other hand, they would get irritated at me or would see me as funny and laugh with me right? - This was the kind of justification I told myself. Thinking about it now makes me laugh so hard and embarrassed. Ha! But why am I writing this now? There’s a reason for it. At the end of 3rd semester, one of my roommates took advantage of me. In that sense, he showed his superiority towards me. I don’t know why h