Skip to main content

The fairies and the Catharsis (EOI #4)

 https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fairytail/images/b/b1/Volume_63_Cover.png/revision/latest?cb=20180322182545

The fairies and the Catharsis

Let me say this.

Fairy Tail is a good anime.

I liked it. I loved it!

It would seem like an unpopular and cringe-y opinion, but I’ll justify it.

Probably, Fairy Tail should’ve been the anime I should’ve watched in my earlier stages of my otaku life. I watched the first 5 or so episodes of Fairy Tail after finishing One piece (Before Starting Naruto Series). It didn’t intrigue me. Probably I was not in the mood to watch any anime at that point of time.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/02/79/a4/0279a4297de3beb05fe2b96fdb141c5c.jpg
Naruto Cover Art

I tried watching yu yu hakusho and failed to complete it. It was back in 2014. In fact, I completed yu yu hakusho in the March of 2020 before started watching the Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Finishing Dragon Ball Series, Bleach and One piece in a row created a saturation point of watching anime for me.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/39/fe/21/39fe21a0b8a22332cb7945be758cbb83.jpg https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/b5/06/60b5066559d3c87847b670e69bc031fc.jpg

If I have watched Fairy Tail at the time, then I would’ve liked it more. Because, I had a mindset that I would like only Shonen animes. I was not a great concentrated guy at that time. I just wanted to enjoy my time in immersing in a world of anime, without thinking about anything, back then.

Later, I started hating Shonen because, it was beginning to feel like more cliché and less plot. Then I shifted my attention towards other types of genre in anime and I loved seinen shows (mainly manga) like Gantz and Samurai Champloo.

http://i2.mangapanda.com/gantz/340/gantz-2347781.jpg https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/4a/fe/114afe2c881d2d186926f5ac1a15821d.jpg

Fast forwarding to 2020, I suddenly decided to watch Fairy Tail on a whim. My hate towards Shonen was broken by One Punch Man and then after a long hiatus, I watched Boku no hero academia and Katekyo Hitman Reborn. This was when I determined myself to finish Yu Yu Hakusho and I did it.

https://gp1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/802892/http_public_production/albums/images/123083/original/resize:1000x1000/crop:x0y0w1000h1000/hash:1463698935/tumblr_o4l18yF4SU1rkg64xo1_1280.jpg?1463698935

Continuing that streak, I stumbled upon fairy tail without giving it any thought. I just wanted an anime that could help me to utilise my escapism. After a day of work, a good way of less concentrated yet enjoyable anime was all I needed.

My new PG was surprisingly nice. It has a shower and it was possible for me to take a nice hot shower any time I needed. It also had lift that worked and a nice terrace for my midnight song listening sessions.

It was the third week of June when I started watching Fairy Tail.

As I was promised to, FT didn’t need any concentration to watch. It was easy to guess the plot. I usually keep an open mind while watching any Shonen anime. Because, I don’t want to guess anything and ruin my moment of mystery. As I said before, I had a low attention syndrome.

Even for a guy like me, the plot was so detectable, and I even guessed some of those twists. Moving forward the show, this fact was starting to annoy me because, this kind of structure starts repeating itself.

Every arc in a Shonen anime follows a certain structure. Like the three acts in Screenplay.


1.       The Initial Happy Days

2.       The Crisis

3.       Sudden Mystery

4.       Antagonist and the Motto (About the antagonist but the his/her intro)

5.       Final Twist and the Lead for the next Arc (Optional)

Almost every arc follows this same pattern. But the catch here is, usually, great arcs would never make the viewers to identify this cliché.

For example, 

The Gotei 13 Arc (the 2nd arc in Bleach) was a classic example for this pattern. Ichigo and Rukia continue to do their Shinigami business (the initial happy days) and suddenly her brother and her childhood friend comes from this other world called The Soul Society to execute Rukia (the crisis). There was already a tension lingering in the shadows of the soul society (Sudden Mystery). The reveal of Aizen and his ideology (Antagonist and the Motto) and at last, Twist with a lead for the next arc.

This same pattern was used in every arc of Bleach and it was very difficult to find it. The one-time bleach failed to make up this tactic was during the Arrancar Arc. But it was balanced by its awesome fight scenes. 

https://pm1.narvii.com/6154/0c3b268d1a06ec6a8808af686b43acae709e7fc0_hq.jpg

Coming back to Fairy Tail, this same pattern was used throughout the series and it started feeling repetitive. Be it the Tenrou Island Arc, the Grand magic Games Arc or even the Final Arc, all follows this same pattern and all of it feels the same.

It was like claying a skeleton figure poorly. When I think about it, it was because FT lacked any character development and the fight sequences were downright boring and silly to the core.

Logic should Rest in Peace during every fight sequence in FT.

Then Why I love Fairy Tail?

Before answering that question, I must confess something here.

I am (was) an anime Kanni.

Ahh GIF - Fan FanGirl 21JumpStreet GIFs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ohm Namashivaaya to you-all raa fuckers!!!

  It was very difficult for me to climb the first hill with my full stomach. I have never sat to take rest when I climbed the first hill back in 2019 but, this time around, I last count on how many times I had sat down to take a bit of rest. I even felt a sudden urge to quit this and go down. But my friends waited with me till I reached the first hill. And believe me, after reaching the first hill, my stomach didn’t upset me anymore. Instead, all the proteins I ate just gave me my stamina. This time It took me one hour to complete the first hill (may be more; I forgot) but, its certainly much slower than my last time. You know what! I am not going to compare my 2-years-back-self to my current-self. It’s just so frustrating. 2 Years Ago It was not till the end of 3 rd hill; I start to feel my legs shaking. Till the third hill, there would be steps arranged in a neat manner so that we can climb easily. But after that, the steps would be would start becoming irregular heaps of st

முதல் முத்தம்

முதல் முத்தம்  சிறுகதை  நவீன் செல்வகுமார்   இன்று(சனி)..  தனது PULSAR150ஐ, அதிகமான கார்கள் மற்றும் சில ரேஸ் பைக்குகள் நிறுத்தப்பட்டிருந்த பார்க்கிங்கில் ஒருவழியாக கிடைத்த சிறு இடத்தில நிறுத்தினான். அன்பு தன்னுடன் அலுவலுகத்தில் பணிபுரியும் அமித்தின் ‘BACHELOR PARTY’க்கு வந்திருந்தான்.இரவு எட்டு மணிக்கு வரவேண்டிய அமித்தின் 'BEACHHOUSE'க்கு 8.20க்கு வந்தடைந்தான். அமித்தின் BEACHHOUSEஐ சில வினாடிகள் ஏக்கமாய் பார்த்துவிட்டு வீட்டினுள்ளே நுழைந்தான்.செல்வராகவன் திரைப்படங்களில் வருவதுபோல் சிவப்பு பச்சை மஞ்சள் என வண்ண விளக்குகள் மின்ன ஆங்கில ராக் பாடல்களுடன் வெளியில் இருந்து பார்த்த அமைதிக்கு நேர் மாறாக அந்த அறை இருந்தது.அறை முழுவதும் மது வாசம் வீசியது. குறைந்த ஆடைகளுடன் பெண்களும் ஆண்களும் மதுகுவளைகளை கையில் ஏந்தியபடி ஆடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்கள்.சிலர் தெய்வநிலை அடைந்த நிம்மதியில் சோபாவிழும் தரையிலும் கிடந்தார்கள்.அமித் அன்புவை வரவேற்று மது பாட்டிலை குடுத்து உபசரித்தான்.அன்பு அதை மறுத்துவிட்டு ஒரு மூலையில் போய் அமர்ந்தான்.அன்புவிற்கு மது பிடிக்காது.மது போதைக்காக இங்கு அவன் வரவில்லை, மாது போத

Stabilize yourself da fucker!!!

Stabilize yourself da fucker!!! February 2021 was a good month. After all the rants of events happened on February, I didn’t write about the one insane thing I did at the beginning of that month. Come to think of it, Make that 2 insane things. I binge watched nearly 70 Episodes of a Tamil Serial that got telecasted in YouTube: And, I binge watched a Reality show about cooking in Hotstar. It was not so insane to watch these shows. Maybe the concept of watching a Tamil serial and a Vijay TV reality show would be a bit cringe-y but, these were very well written TV shows. Before I write about these TV shows, I want to write about the books I finished reading on the first week of February and how the secret month of mine got ended. My very first Ultimate goal of this year was to start reading the Harry Potter series. I had no money to buy the books. My kid brother was supposed to start working in an IT company called Hexaware on January 21. But unfortunately, they had fuc