Skip to main content

Manga!!!!! (Being Otaku #4)

SECOND PHASE

 

As a kid I love reading books. Sometimes when I bought parle G (A famous biscuit), I would get a free Superman and Batman Comics.

That was my first encounter with Comics. But comics were too costly to buy, and I didn’t enjoy comics in my childhood. As a teen, after finding that I was an otaku, I was introduced to this new world of manga.

Yu Yu Hakusho was the first manga I have ever read fully. Later, I watched the anime and loved it. It was the only long running anime without any filler episodes.

Manga

These were Japanese comics. Usually comics will be colourful and high quality. But Mangas are in black and white.

Reading manga was so immersive. I can know the world of each anime better and the characters were portrayed in depth. I learnt more about manga and the mangaka (Author of mangas)

One such mangaka I came across at that time was Eichiro Oda. He’s the author of the 20 year-old running manga, ONE PIECE.


Oda sensei was a genius. I read the first volume of one piece and I liked it. It was like an adventure. Because it deals with treasures and pirates. I love adventures and before reading it further, I wanted my brother to read it.

But he was not interested in manga and I seriously wanted him to read One piece. So, I started watching anime and asked him to watch with me. Our streak had halted at that time and I want to unstop the halt.

But he refused and promised that he would join later. Hoping he would join me later, I started watching the anime. As promised, he joined me. We binged one piece till the marine ford arc. That was the latest arc at that time, and we caught up to it.

He too wanted to know more, and I asked him to read manga. He was still not interested in reading manga and that made me want to go solo again. After that I was only reading manga and our Duo was halted for a long time.

I started reading one piece and finished reading it first. I even caught up to the manga. I came to know that Bleach was still releasing every week as manga chapters. I thought of a plan to reread the whole bleach manga from the first to enjoy the story better.

Bleach manga was phenomenal, and I have never read anything like that before. The mangaka of bleach was Tite Kubo and his art style was out of the world. I finally caught up with bleach too and it was now Naruto’s turn.

I read all of Naruto and I liked manga version of Naruto more than the anime version. By the end 2014, I read all the 700 chapters of Naruto and the manga ended beautifully. I started watching the anime weekly. I planned on creating a MAL list of the animes and manga I watched and read. I created an account, but I didn’t add anything.

I used to postpone this task always. Till today, I keep on postponing it 😐

I wanted to read something else which was not in an anime format. That made me pick up this manga series called Psyren. It was good.

Reading all these shonen mangas made me to reach my toleration point.

YOUTUBERS AND GENRE CHANGE

I was fed up with all the shonen themed manga and anime.

I even tried reading Berserk and Vagabond for 50 chapters each. Even these manga didn’t satisfy me.

It was around that time I grew fond of hentai and even read hentai mangas. 

Junji Ito was my favourite horror mangaka of all time. 

Later I found this amazing genre called slice of life. That is when I found Death Note. I read the manga first and watched the anime.

But other than shonen themed manga, I couldn’t able to find any other manga or anime.

At that time, I used to follow forenever world YouTube channel. (But I hate it now and no longer following it) and Tekking101. His bleach reviews were the best. He notices way too much information in manga than anybody else. After reading each bleach chapter, I would visit his channel and watch the review.

I watched his Bleach review till the last chapter of bleach. Now he is doing one-piece reviews and it became a habit for me to watch his reviews weekly. More on that later.

But there was one other Youtuber I was awestruck with. He’s Code Provider. He was like the Blue Sattai Maaran of Anime reviews. He introduced me to this whole slice of life genre.

After following him in YouTube, I started reading Parasyte. Even death note was not good when I compare it to Parasyte manga.  Followed by Full Metal Alchemist manga. I didn’t watch the anime then.

I read Bakuman manga which was illustrated by the creators of Death Note. It was the manga that I wanted to read. It was too good and too original. It had all the elements of a slice of life genre. Once I finished reading it, I found a new genre called Seinen. (Adult Manga – Not sexual but Emotional)

Now, I tried reading Seinen before like Berserk and Vagabond, but I didn’t like Seinen.

Code Provider helped me once again like he did it with Parasyte. That lead me to read Gantz.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ohm Namashivaaya to you-all raa fuckers!!!

  It was very difficult for me to climb the first hill with my full stomach. I have never sat to take rest when I climbed the first hill back in 2019 but, this time around, I last count on how many times I had sat down to take a bit of rest. I even felt a sudden urge to quit this and go down. But my friends waited with me till I reached the first hill. And believe me, after reaching the first hill, my stomach didn’t upset me anymore. Instead, all the proteins I ate just gave me my stamina. This time It took me one hour to complete the first hill (may be more; I forgot) but, its certainly much slower than my last time. You know what! I am not going to compare my 2-years-back-self to my current-self. It’s just so frustrating. 2 Years Ago It was not till the end of 3 rd hill; I start to feel my legs shaking. Till the third hill, there would be steps arranged in a neat manner so that we can climb easily. But after that, the steps would be would start becoming irregular heaps of st

முதல் முத்தம்

முதல் முத்தம்  சிறுகதை  நவீன் செல்வகுமார்   இன்று(சனி)..  தனது PULSAR150ஐ, அதிகமான கார்கள் மற்றும் சில ரேஸ் பைக்குகள் நிறுத்தப்பட்டிருந்த பார்க்கிங்கில் ஒருவழியாக கிடைத்த சிறு இடத்தில நிறுத்தினான். அன்பு தன்னுடன் அலுவலுகத்தில் பணிபுரியும் அமித்தின் ‘BACHELOR PARTY’க்கு வந்திருந்தான்.இரவு எட்டு மணிக்கு வரவேண்டிய அமித்தின் 'BEACHHOUSE'க்கு 8.20க்கு வந்தடைந்தான். அமித்தின் BEACHHOUSEஐ சில வினாடிகள் ஏக்கமாய் பார்த்துவிட்டு வீட்டினுள்ளே நுழைந்தான்.செல்வராகவன் திரைப்படங்களில் வருவதுபோல் சிவப்பு பச்சை மஞ்சள் என வண்ண விளக்குகள் மின்ன ஆங்கில ராக் பாடல்களுடன் வெளியில் இருந்து பார்த்த அமைதிக்கு நேர் மாறாக அந்த அறை இருந்தது.அறை முழுவதும் மது வாசம் வீசியது. குறைந்த ஆடைகளுடன் பெண்களும் ஆண்களும் மதுகுவளைகளை கையில் ஏந்தியபடி ஆடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்கள்.சிலர் தெய்வநிலை அடைந்த நிம்மதியில் சோபாவிழும் தரையிலும் கிடந்தார்கள்.அமித் அன்புவை வரவேற்று மது பாட்டிலை குடுத்து உபசரித்தான்.அன்பு அதை மறுத்துவிட்டு ஒரு மூலையில் போய் அமர்ந்தான்.அன்புவிற்கு மது பிடிக்காது.மது போதைக்காக இங்கு அவன் வரவில்லை, மாது போத

The Days of Being Wild (Last Days of IBM #5 - The End)

  The Days of Being Wild In the third semester of college, I had a fight with one of my roommates. I had lost my father in the second semester of college. It was a hard time for me and my family. The only thing that I had with me at that time were my friends. It may sound cringe, but the truth is, I needed to forget it all. I never wanted my friends to feel sympathy towards me. At that age, and especially in my 3rd semester, to avoid my gloom, I started acting weirdly. More like a cracked guy at times. By doing so, no one would feel sympathy towards me right? On the other hand, they would get irritated at me or would see me as funny and laugh with me right? - This was the kind of justification I told myself. Thinking about it now makes me laugh so hard and embarrassed. Ha! But why am I writing this now? There’s a reason for it. At the end of 3rd semester, one of my roommates took advantage of me. In that sense, he showed his superiority towards me. I don’t know why h