Skip to main content

Beginning of the Trance (Being Otaku #2)

 

Usually Naruto would be telecast-ed @ 8 PM slot when my parents watch Thirumathi Selvam, a Tamil serial telecast-ed in Sun TV. That is why I missed Naruto till then. After Thirumathi Selvam ended, I started watching Naruto @ 8PM, Mr. Bean Animated Series in Pogo @ 8:30PM and DBZ @ 9PM.

Life was going smoothly.

It was in my 10th grade my life got changed completely because of two incidents.

FIRST PHASE – THE TRANCE

Watching Naruto was good. But it was also on a loop. The loop ends just before the Chunnin exams, I guess. My memory of Naruto was not that great.


Both loops bored the shit out of me. I couldn’t handle it anymore.

That is when the first of the two incidents took place.

My father was a Merchandiser in a reputed textile company. Basically, he acted as the bridge between the company and the buyer of their company products.

This communication needed over time jobs which my father hated. As a result of which, the company he worked on, offered him a desktop computer.

Voila! The computer I used for my explorations in Browsing centers was in my house.

Initially, there was no internet connection like for a month. My father used to download movies from his office, and he would come home and play it in our desktop. Weekend nights during those times were so good and it brings back a lot of memories.

The second of the two incidents happened over a month. For communication purposes, in addition to the desktop computer my father subscribed an internet connection from BSNL initially. So, we had a modem and a dial up connection for connecting the modem to the internet.

The setup was done finally, and it was left in the hands of me and my brother to corrupt fuck out of it.


Now, I knew few things about computers like how to handle them and stuff. So, my father didn’t had worry about the desktop. I had my gigs with desktops before in my 6th grade. We had our own Windows XP set but it got corrupted because of me. I literally made the CPU explode.

So, I learnt what were THE don’ts of handling a PC. For a short time before my 9th grade, my father’s company provided him a laptop to work on but my father preferred desktop instead.

Finally, the two awesome incidents took place and the only thing that remained was for me to catch up.

In the sense that I need to make use of these incident to the fullest of my abilities. B)

First of all, I needed to know how to download movies and stuff. I started searching on the web and discovered this amazing software called uTorrent.

The first thing I did was I downloaded the Dragon Ball Z episodes. I was disappointed when I found out the number of episodes. It was only 291 episodes of awesomeness. Then something blew my mind away. There was a prequel series to DBZ called Dragon Ball which deals with the Adventures of Kid Goku and Teen Bulma.

And the huge shock for me was, Piccolo was the main Villain of the whole series. Me and my brother pledged ourselves to watch Dragon Ball before watching Dragon Ball Z.

6th grade was my unofficial date of becoming an otaku. But in reality 10th Grade was the time when I knew I was becoming something called an Otaku. First Phase of me being an Otaku starts from that point.

SHITTY MAGNETS AND BLEACH

The internet connection installed in my house was super slow. If I got lucky, the download speed would be reaching 50KBps. Whenever I saw this 50KBps mark I would jump in joy.

I never thought someday I would experience 10MBps mark at that time. But for 13-year-old me, 50KBps was a blissful moment. In 2013, I had a tough time downloading these torrents.

I was in my initial stages of learning the concept of torrents. It nearly took me one whole month to download 151 episodes of Dragon Ball. Me and my brother were the Otaku Duo. He always gives me company when I watch anime. As soon as the Dragon Ball had downloaded, we started watching it.

Me and my brother had a lot of binge moments together. One of most hysterical moment is when we both watched Killua Saga in Hunter X Hunter. We were frenzied with the music. Coming back to our first Anime binge watch ie., Dragon Ball, we utilized our holidays, evening sessions and whatever free time we could afford. We even stopped playing 2-Man cricket matches.

While watching Dragon Ball, I started downloading DBZ. By the time we completed watching Dragon Ball, DBZ had been downloaded already.

Same happened for DBGT. Personally, I hated DBGT, but it had its moments. We both cried a lot after finishing the 53rd and the last episode of Dragon Ball Universe.

In my time, 10th Grade Final Exams and 12th Grade final exams were exams of high significance. My 10th Grade final exams were ease in the breeze. I was waiting for my Summer holidays. It was the lengthy and the most wonderful summer holidays. I explored my inner Otaku to the fullest in those holidays.

It was the time I started watching BLEACH.

Me and my brother took a break watching anime together. He started having other interest like playing video games in our PC. He spent most of his time playing GTA Vice City in the PC. On the other I was exploring some other anime to watch.

Initially, I thought of watching Naruto. Then I decided to watch Naruto and searched for torrents. I mostly use Kickass and Piratebay for downloading my torrents. I was aware of the concept of seeders and leachers in the torrent at that time.

As a result, I downloaded a torrent file with zero seeders. Initially the first season of Naruto started downloading. Later, it became slow. I thought that something was wrong with my BSNL connection. My father felt the same and we unsubscribed BSNL and subscribed to another ISP.

They were good and the internet speed was better. I could see 60KBps speed in my uTorrent. My season one of Naruto had downloaded 80% of its pieces and suddenly it stopped downloading.

I was devastated. I tried downloading different torrent files and it all failed. That was not a good start for my summer holidays. I deleted all the half ass downloaded torrent files and decided not to watch Naruto.

I surfed the web a lot during that time. I didn’t use the uTorrent software for a while after that. I was planning on playing games like my brother did and sometimes I would play with him. I even started online games for the most of my time.

Then I had an idea. What if there was software to play games? I mean I used to play online, but I liked using software then websites. My pursuit ended with me discovering a software called Ziggy TV.

It was like a video player where we can play .swf games and stuff. I downloaded Shock Wave Flash games and used the Ziggy TV to play it offline. Ziggy TV had its own games to play.

Later, I realised that I can download and watch single episodes of Anime in that software. That was when I found this AMAZING, BADASS and UBER COOL anime called BLEACH.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ohm Namashivaaya to you-all raa fuckers!!!

  It was very difficult for me to climb the first hill with my full stomach. I have never sat to take rest when I climbed the first hill back in 2019 but, this time around, I last count on how many times I had sat down to take a bit of rest. I even felt a sudden urge to quit this and go down. But my friends waited with me till I reached the first hill. And believe me, after reaching the first hill, my stomach didn’t upset me anymore. Instead, all the proteins I ate just gave me my stamina. This time It took me one hour to complete the first hill (may be more; I forgot) but, its certainly much slower than my last time. You know what! I am not going to compare my 2-years-back-self to my current-self. It’s just so frustrating. 2 Years Ago It was not till the end of 3 rd hill; I start to feel my legs shaking. Till the third hill, there would be steps arranged in a neat manner so that we can climb easily. But after that, the steps would be would start becoming irregular heaps of st

முதல் முத்தம்

முதல் முத்தம்  சிறுகதை  நவீன் செல்வகுமார்   இன்று(சனி)..  தனது PULSAR150ஐ, அதிகமான கார்கள் மற்றும் சில ரேஸ் பைக்குகள் நிறுத்தப்பட்டிருந்த பார்க்கிங்கில் ஒருவழியாக கிடைத்த சிறு இடத்தில நிறுத்தினான். அன்பு தன்னுடன் அலுவலுகத்தில் பணிபுரியும் அமித்தின் ‘BACHELOR PARTY’க்கு வந்திருந்தான்.இரவு எட்டு மணிக்கு வரவேண்டிய அமித்தின் 'BEACHHOUSE'க்கு 8.20க்கு வந்தடைந்தான். அமித்தின் BEACHHOUSEஐ சில வினாடிகள் ஏக்கமாய் பார்த்துவிட்டு வீட்டினுள்ளே நுழைந்தான்.செல்வராகவன் திரைப்படங்களில் வருவதுபோல் சிவப்பு பச்சை மஞ்சள் என வண்ண விளக்குகள் மின்ன ஆங்கில ராக் பாடல்களுடன் வெளியில் இருந்து பார்த்த அமைதிக்கு நேர் மாறாக அந்த அறை இருந்தது.அறை முழுவதும் மது வாசம் வீசியது. குறைந்த ஆடைகளுடன் பெண்களும் ஆண்களும் மதுகுவளைகளை கையில் ஏந்தியபடி ஆடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்கள்.சிலர் தெய்வநிலை அடைந்த நிம்மதியில் சோபாவிழும் தரையிலும் கிடந்தார்கள்.அமித் அன்புவை வரவேற்று மது பாட்டிலை குடுத்து உபசரித்தான்.அன்பு அதை மறுத்துவிட்டு ஒரு மூலையில் போய் அமர்ந்தான்.அன்புவிற்கு மது பிடிக்காது.மது போதைக்காக இங்கு அவன் வரவில்லை, மாது போத

The Days of Being Wild (Last Days of IBM #5 - The End)

  The Days of Being Wild In the third semester of college, I had a fight with one of my roommates. I had lost my father in the second semester of college. It was a hard time for me and my family. The only thing that I had with me at that time were my friends. It may sound cringe, but the truth is, I needed to forget it all. I never wanted my friends to feel sympathy towards me. At that age, and especially in my 3rd semester, to avoid my gloom, I started acting weirdly. More like a cracked guy at times. By doing so, no one would feel sympathy towards me right? On the other hand, they would get irritated at me or would see me as funny and laugh with me right? - This was the kind of justification I told myself. Thinking about it now makes me laugh so hard and embarrassed. Ha! But why am I writing this now? There’s a reason for it. At the end of 3rd semester, one of my roommates took advantage of me. In that sense, he showed his superiority towards me. I don’t know why h